Sunday, April 27, 2008

Gardening, Tulips, and some Training Runs

I have spent almost every night this week gardening in my yard. A border along the south side of my house was becoming quickly overgrown by grass and weeds, so I decided to take the matter into my own hands and plant some shrubs along this border.

I am really pleased with the result of my many hours of hard labor. Here is a picture of a part of my work:


It doesn’t look like much, but it’s the result of many hours of digging, packing soil, and laying down weed barriers. It feels good to have done a good job with this.

The tulips are in full bloom here. I have some tulips at the entrance to my house. Here are some pictures:



Yesterday and Friday, I have been doing lots of running, trying to get ready for the Ogden Marathon in May. On Friday, I went on the “roller-coaster” trail through the mountains early in the morning. The air was clear and cold, but the run was invigorating. On Saturday, I ran about 18 miles total up to South Fork Park and back. The run took about 2 ½ hours, and my legs ached at the end of the run. I managed to finish planting my shrubs and watch Arianna’s (my little niece) dance later in the day.

Last Saturday, I went on an amazing run in the foothills above my house until I hit snow and then down into Pleasant Grove. I followed the canal back to my house. At the end of the run, the sun was shining in my face and it was getting a little warm, but it was a great run.

Yesterday, Arianna danced at BYU. I went to that dance and had a nice time watching it. Then, I went to my brother Loren and Kara’s house to visit. Loren and Kara came to dinner here tonight. We had chicken, rice, broccoli, and Kara’s special bread. We had ice cream push-ups for dessert. Arianna and my roommate John played blocks while my nephew Lincoln and I walked around the house after dinner.

4 comments:

Shell said...

I am a friend of Kara's. Does she have a blog? Please tell her Shelly is looking for her and give her my blog address www.blazeofmom.blogspot.com

Thanks

Unknown said...

Kara has a blog, but I have not been able to view it for some reason. You could probably e-mail her about it. I sent her your information and she will probably be in contact with you.

Monica Sue said...

hey Chris,
how did your marathon go! i watched my sister come in that morning. it looked like a perfect day to run. i was wishing i had done the half.
hope you were happy with your race and are recovering well.

your flowers look great, too.

LClark said...

Chris-
Give us the scoop on the rest of the landscaping. I am curious as to how your BIG project is going.
-Loren