Saturday, October 20, 2007

Location: At my kitchen table

Yesterday after work, I wanted to go and do some mountain biking because there was rain and snow in the forecast for today (Saturday). So I left work a little earlier than I usually do and headed home on my bike. After arriving at home, I changed into my biking outfit and headed out from my house. I did not have much time before it became dark, so I stayed close to my house and took my light with me. I headed up the road to the water tanks just north of my house. There’s one new water tank they are still working on that will be VERY big…I think it’s bigger than all the rest of the tanks combined. After passing the tanks, I journeyed up the dirt road east of the tanks that is part of the Bonneville Shoreline Trail system. Just before reaching the top of this dirt road where it overlooks Provo Canyon, there are a couple of trails that branch to the North. I took one of these trails, but at this point, I was low on energy as well as daylight and knew I would not make it very far on this narrow, difficult trail. Like a worn-out moose, I slowly started climbing the trail, and the sun began to set as I climbed. The weather had a cool snap, but the temperature was comparatively warm for a mid-fall day.

Mt. Timpanogos from the bike trail


Mt. Timpanogos and the trail

Squaw Peak and Provo from above the Bonneville Shoreline Trail


Utah Lake at sunset from above the Bonneville Shoreline

I stayed on this trail until it branched to the right and began heading back into Provo Canyon and to the Bonneville Shoreline dirt road. After reaching the top of this trail, I slithered down this trail like a snake slithering through a hole in the ground. The ride back to the Bonneville Shoreline road was fast and exciting. From here, I headed east on the Bonneville Shoreline road and took the fun but rocky singletrack trail down into Provo Canyon’s Canyon Glen Park. From the park, I rode the Provo River Parkway home. I have ridden the last part of this route many times, but it was a beautiful day and the trail was great.

This morning, I ran much of the same route…up the Bonneville Shoreline Trail to the Provo Canyon overlook and from there I went down the Provo Racetrack to Timpanogos Park. I ran home from the park. The run was invigorating and the weather was great. The sky was overcast, but the weather was warm. At home, I raked some leaves and did some other yard work. Later this morning, the air really cooled as some wind and rain came through. Bryan and I went to a couple of auto supply shops, Harbor Freight tools (Bryan likes tools and working on cars), and then to TJ Maxx. From there, we headed over to Costco and then home.

I then went to my brother’s house, where I babysat my niece and nephew. We really had a great time pretending that we were riding in a boat downstairs as I pushed them around in a laundry basket full of blankets. Just as I began to get very tired, Lincoln fell asleep and I fell asleep beside him. By this time, Miriam was home and started putting together a puzzle full of cartoon characters. We completed the puzzle and had flour tacos for dinner.

The cartoon puzzle

No comments: