Thursday, November 8, 2007

Quiet and Dark

Since daylight savings time has ended, the ride home on my bike has been a dark one. This requires the use of my helmet light and my two rear taillights as I ride north on University Avenue. After I hop on this busy road, the sounds of passing cars are muffled by my earplugs as I fly through the night air at a swift clip. While riding, I feel like a cheetah, owning the shoulder of the road but largely vulnerable to the traffic around me. I try to shine my flashing headlamp into the eyes of any spurious driver who tries to intersect my line of flight. I don’t know whether this does any good. I largely go unnoticed, and usually end up stopping since the force exerted by my small bike is orders of magnitude less than the force exerted by a 2000-pound car.

Eventually, I make it to the quiet of home, which is where I am now. Riding home in the dark will last for four months this season, until the beginning of daylight savings time in March.

After getting home tonight, I read some interesting news. One was of an expensive dessert in New York City…costing $25,000! This dessert was made of some of the world’s finest chocolates and was sprinkled with edible gold. Fortunately, you get to take the golden, diamond-studded spoon home as a souvenir. There is also a $1000 bagel offered nearby. If you really have lots of money, you can buy a 3-story penthouse with an indoor gymnasium, an outdoor veranda, and 27-foot ceilings in the middle of Manhattan for a cool $150 Million.

No comments: